TENNIS fever swept through the Eastern Shore in January, with the community coming together to host the recent 2016 B&E Rosny Junior Championships.
Held at the Rosny Park Tennis Club and run by tournament directors and the club coaches Tony Blom and Marty Nidorfer, 80 participants from Tasmania, Victoria and the ACT faced off for two days of exciting competition.
Top juniors aged between eight and 14 years competed in a “bronze” level event adjudicated by referee Willy Priestley and court supervisor Geoff Lyons.
Rosny Park Tennis Club committee member Valerie Reid said competition sponsor B&E Personal Banking donated many prizes during the event.
“The Rosny Park Tennis Club members also ran a well stocked canteen and barbecue, providing food and refreshments for spectators and players,” she said.
“The two days went smoothly with many very enjoyable games of tennis in a picturesque and sunny environment.”
2016 B&E Rosny Junior Championships winners:
- 10/U Boys Singles, Kiran Naidoo def. Jonas Best
- 10/U Boys Doubles, Jonas Best and Brayden Pregnell def. Ethan Conallin and Callum Wherrett
- 12/U Boys Singles, Ben Fergusson def. Jake Elmer
- 12/U Girls Singles, Tully Bourn def. Claudia Barnes
- 14/U Boys Doubles, Sam Edgel def. Sam Whitehead
- 14/U Girls Singles, Lucy Jones def. Claudia Barnes