AS the site of the Bellerive Community Centre gears up to celebrate its 175th anniversary, local author and historian John Sargent has released a book delving into the historic building’s early history.
Designed by W.P. Kay and completed in 1842, the colonial gothic building – located at 17 Cambridge Road – is now thought to be the “crown jewel” of Eastern Shore buildings.
In its 175-year history, the building has played the role of an Official Court and Watch House, the municipal offices for the Clarence Plains Council, Police Station and local library.
The building is now a community centre that is shared between the community and Bellerive Historical Society.
Mr Sargent’s book includes a selection of early hearings in the Clarence Police Court, with proceedings from more than 100 early cases dating from 1855-1911.
The book contains an index of the names and dates of each case, detailing the early social history of Bellerive, Lindisfarne, Cambridge and Rokeby.
Also included is an early history of Van Diemen’s Land and the Tasmania Police, as well as early attempts at Eastern Shore policing.
For more information, phone John Sargent on 6244 2925.
Caption: Bellerive Council Chambers, 1913.