Changes to child care assistance

By Hank Jongen

Department of Human Services


CHILD Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate will be replaced with a single means-tested subsidy, Child Care Subsidy, from 2 July 2018.

Child Care Subsidy is paid directly to child care services to reduce the out-of-pocket costs for families.

The amount of subsidy families may be eligible for will depend on family income, an activity test, the type of child care service, and the age of your child.

Families can check their level of entitlement to Child Care Subsidy by using the Payment and Service Finder on the Department of Human Services’ website.

If you currently receive Child Care Benefit for approved care or Child Care Rebate, we’ll have written to you in April 2018 to let you know what you need to do to receive the Child Care Subsidy.

For those still using a Centrelink online account, soon you’ll need a myGov account to keep getting your letters online.

You must link your myGov account to Centrelink.

After you’ve linked your account, we’ll automatically send your Centrelink letters and messages to your myGov Inbox.

We’ll also transfer letters held in your Centrelink online account over to your myGov inbox.

You can still get your letters online in your Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

To find out more about using your Centrelink account through myGov, visit humanservices.gov.au/mygov

For more information about the Child Care Subsidy, visit humanservices.gov.au/childcaresubsidy

Also don’t forget to follow the Family Update Facebook and Twitter accounts for important updates on social media.

Enjoy this story? Share it!

About the Author: Eastern Shore Sun

The Eastern Shore Sun is your monthly community newspaper, reaching over 30,000 homes and businesses in the communities of Clarence and Sorell. It is the product of Nicolas Turner, Justine Brazil, Ben Hope, Simon Andrews, Tobias Hinds and guest contributors, with support from advertisers.

What’s new?

Go to Top